Sunday 10 March 2013

Running and Mothering

Before I had kids, I thought motherhood would be a bit like the top picture:



....but I soon discovered, it was a lot more like the bottom one.

A lot of women (me included) start running after having children.  Not only does it help to get back into shape, but it's gives a sense of identity, other than 'mother'.  It ensures that you do something else with your time other than the usual cooking, cleaning, doing laundry, ironing, ferrying about to parties and hobbies (not to mention squeezing in work!)

I absolutely adore being a mother - the kids give me so much happiness, but I think having my own hobby makes me a better person, and hopefully, a better mother.

On Mother's Day, many of us will have hoped for one of the following:


which I suppose, essentially = Time Out.

Because running has become a form of Time Out for me, I went for a run.

To all the other running mothers, Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment